Unbelievable Whitetail Property On Shaw Creek In NW Kansas
In Northwest Kansas, it is a well-known fact that the perfect mixture of wooded creek or river bottom, bountiful crop fields, and live water on a single property can lead to incredible hunting success year after year. Large and secluded tracts of land encompassing all these components are a magnet for whitetail, mule deer, turkeys, and upland game.
Shaw Creek winds through Northeastern Trego County for only 9 miles before meeting the Saline River North of Ogallah. This 938-acre ranch includes over 2.5 miles of the most heavily wooded stretch of Shaw Creek and is located less than 1 mile South of where the creek ties into the Saline River. This stretch of the creek is loaded with a variety of trees including mature cottonwoods, elm, locusts, cedars, and Russian olives as well as an incredible amount of ground cover provided thick brush, thickets, tall grass, yucca plants, and cattails along the offshoots of the creek that extend southerly into the center of the ranch. These cool spring-fed bottoms serve as primary bedding areas for bachelor groups of whitetail bucks during the warm summer months and early Fall. It is also evident that several deer transition into the creek bottom on this ranch once the Fall crops are harvested late in the year. There are several terrific areas for hunting multiple hunters during the Fall deer season. Good access on three sides of the ranch provide minimal intrusion for hunting all different wind directions. During the Spring turkey season, it is common to see multiple flocks of Rio Grandes throughout the ranch. A variety of crops are commonly planted on the tillable acres including corn, wheat, and milo. There is currently 65 acres planted to corn and 30 acres planted to wheat. There are 66 acres of CRP grass on the ranch providing diversity in the wildlife habitat as well as an additional source of income from the property. Native grass acres on each side of the creek provide abundant grass for grazing livestock. The majority of the creek bottom is fenced off from the pasture to the North so a secluded honey hole can be created for the wildlife while cattle are grazing the portion the ranch. The secluded farmstead includes a large equipment shed with concrete floors and several grain storage bins. These nice improvements are very accommodating for personal use or can generate additional rental income.
There are 4 producing oil wells at the Northwest corner of the ranch and the owner’s full mineral rights, royalty interest & overriding interest will transfer to the Buyer of the property. The location of the wells, tanks, and lease roads is very accommodating to the outdoorsman – as they are located far from the creek bottom and hunting habitat. Multiple sources of income from the property include pasture, farmland, and storage rent, CRP income, and oil production. It is very unique for a hunting property in this part of the State to include good income return and diversity such as this.
The distinct quality of the wildlife habitat on this ranch can simply not be overstated. This ranch is located in an area with a proven track record for growing and holding monster whitetail bucks. Several Boone & Crockett whitetails have been harvested from this part of the county and this ranch has all the makeup of a trophy whitetail producing property unlike most any other ranches you will find. If you want a one of a kind hunting property, look no further than this incredible ranch on Shaw Creek!
- Located 7 ½ miles NE of Wakeeney and only 5 ½ miles North of Interstate 70
- 30 minutes from Hays Municipal Airport; 4.5 hours from Denver International Airport
- Incredible trophy whitetail and turkey hunting habitat along Shaw Creek. Less than 1 mile South of the SALINE RIVER
- 2 ½ miles of Shaw Creek flows through the property with excellent tree and brush cover
- This area along Shaw Creek is known for excellent whitetail deer genetics. With the Saline River nearby and a heavily wooded stretch of the creek running through this property, whitetail deer numbers are high and Boone & Crockett caliber genetics are plentiful
- Outstanding live springs along Shaw Creek
- Excellent Rio Grande turkey hunting
- Great pheasant and quail hunting as well
- 94.86 acres of cropland. 64.35 acres currently planted to corn and 30.51 acres currently planted to wheat
- 66.20 acres enrolled in CRP thru 2022. Annual CRP payment of $1,991
- 764.40 acres of fenced native grassland with good water well. Excellent for grazing livestock or renting to current farm tenant
- Current farm and grazing rent income is $15,000 annually
- Mineral Rights and Oil Production: There are 4 producing oil wells on the ranch. Owner’s mineral rights, 1/16th royalty interest and .0546875 overriding Interest will transfer to the Buyer of the property! Oil royalty income in 2018 was $3,541.26.
- Oil Production: 649 bbls (2016); 645 bbls (2017); 471 bbls (2018)
- 3,600 sq ft equipment shed
- 5 Grain Bins with over 25,000 bushels of grain storage capacity
- Incredible views from the hilltops overlooking Shaw Creek
- Excellent all-season access along 330 Ave
- 4.5 hours from Denver, CO; 30 miles from Hays, Kansas; Less than 4 hours from Kansas City
330 Ave., Lot #WP001
Ogallah, Kansas 67656